Wednesday, 1 May 2013

The Readathon: A Fond Look Back


I'm just now recovering from my book/blogging hangover, but it was totally worth it. The next readathon is set for October 12, and I may have already put it in my Google calendar. 

As this was my first readathon, there are things I'll do differently next time. Like what, you ask? I'LL TELL YA!

  • As my kindly father pointed out, I need more snacks with energy-to-the-brain potential. Energy drinks, chocolate covered espresso beans, cocaine strong tea... 
  • Moranthology, a collection of article hilarity by Caitlin Moran, was just the right kind of book for a readathon. My excitement about it waned a bit by the end, though. Could be better to read a couple of pieces from a book like that (sideeyes Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls) between novels.
  • Less spammy. I felt distinctly guilty about posting so much by hour 19, so in October I'll do one post with many updates. Also, probably not as many updates. Maybe multiple posts but fewer updates. Maybe I'm not sure on this one yet.
  • Audio books. I'd like to have an audio book (probably Bossypants by everyone's favourite Tina) on hand to listen to on a walk and while knitting or crocheting in the middle there, just to break things up. (Side note: must learn to knit or crochet by October.)

Whatever I do, I'mma stick to the Humour + Horror + Young Adult formula, because that worked like bangarang.

What about you guys? How'd it go? Have you recovered yet?

9 comments:

  1. Dude, you did SO WELL for your first readathon! Like... I don't think I've ever done 19 hours, at least not consecutively! MADNESS!

    Your life/readathon lessons are excellent and wise. Especially the having cocaine on hand to, you know, keep you going.

    Also- I didn't at all mind all the posts! The only thing I think is, like, updating every hour means you're going to obviously be looking on the internet every hour and then you're not reading and everything is going to go to shit, but I might just be being dramatic here. But you post as much as you want to, ma'am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU ARE THE NICEST.

      I'm really glad to hear the multiple posts didn't bother you. That's good. But yes, posting every hour, while making the 'thon go by quickly, definitely did interrupt the reading flow.

      Delete
    2. To be honest, purely selfishly, I was like 'OOOOH, Lookit all the updating and OMG FOOD!' So if you want to do that again then I am A-OK with it! But yes- your reading flow must always be considered!

      Delete
  2. I liked all the posts!

    And an audiobook is a brilliant idea, because after awhile I was like Ugh holding books and reading words is uncomfortable, and a nice walk would have been super wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? And your eyes start to bleed after hour 15 or so, which is uncomfortable and also messy.

      Delete
  3. I'm a fan of multiple posts. Maybe not as many, because then they're shorter and LONGER POSTS ARE A+. But I don't want you to think you bothered anyone, madam. We are the internet. We like new content.

    Not really reading this week (er...tonight's HP post is going to be lacking, that's all I'm saying) so the readathon was a nice way of doing a lot of that before a dry spell. And as is usual with these things, it carried into the next day for me, so I was able to finish another book. Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, that does sound like the internet. Thanks for the advice. And yes! I wound up finishing Eleanor & Park on Sunday. All the reading!

      Delete
  4. You did so great!

    I like multiple posts :) But it does take away from internet time, so I try to update every 4 to 6 hours, depending on what else I might have going on that day.

    And YESSSSS more energy-filled stuff is a must! Although mayyyybe not the cocaine. That could go badly. Speed is probably a no-on too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I like the sound of that. And then I don't feel like I'm missing a bunch of what everyone else is posting, when they just post once every four hours or so. And yes, drug induced readathonning may lead to some problems, but I would read SO EFFING MUCH! YEEEAAAARRRRGG! (That's what cocaine users sound like, right? Totally.)

      Delete

Talk to me, internets.